At least 24 people have died after a suicide bomber targeted a train carrying military personnel in Pakistan's southwestern province of Balochistan, officials have said.
The passenger train was travelling through the southwestern city of Quetta when a vehicle packed with explosives was detonated near a railway track as the passenger train passed through.
The force of the explosion caused two of the train cars to overturn and catch fire, sending thick black smoke into the air, according to footage shared online.
More than 70 others were injured in the explosion, officials said.
Doctors at local hospitals said they had received the wounded, with 20 in critical condition.
The incident took place in an area where security forces are usually stationed.
Several buildings were damaged along with more than a dozen vehicles parked along the road, according to witnesses and images circulating on social media.
Quetta is the capital of insurgency-hit Balochistan province.
The outlawed Baloch Liberation Army, (BLA), which demands independence from Pakistan's central government, has claimed responsibility for Sunday's attack in a statement sent to reporters.
The militant group said it targeted a train carrying security personnel, the Associated Press said.
It is one of the separatist groups in the oil and mineral-rich region, where insurgents have often targeted security forces, government installations and civilians as well as elsewhere in the country.
The BLA has previously claimed it was behind similar attacks.
Shahid Rind, a spokesperson for the Balochistan provincial government, said they "strongly condemn the targeting of innocent civilians and are deeply saddened by the loss of precious human lives. Terrorist elements deserve no leniency".
Read more:
Iran war latest - Good news on Strait of Hormuz?
Four killed by airstrike on Kyiv
A medical emergency was declared at hospitals in the city following the incident, and an investigation has been opened, he said.
Authorities in Pakistan have claimed the insurgency has been suppressed, but violence in Baluchistan has persisted.
At least 26 people, including soldiers, were killed in November 2024 when a suicide bomber attacked a train station there.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.
Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.
(c) Sky News 2026: Pakistan: 'At least 24' people killed after suicide bomb targets train carrying military personnel
Gun suspect killed after opening fire at White House security checkpoint
At least four killed in Kyiv airstrikes as Zelenskyy claims hypersonic missile used during attacks
British man killed in action while fighting alongside Ukrainian troops
Alain Prost: Formula 1 legend 'injured during home invasion' in Switzerland
Serbian riot police clash with protesters in Belgrade after anti-government rally
Hull promoted to Premier League after late Oli McBurnie goal against Middlesbrough in play-off final
France bans Israeli security minister over 'unspeakable' video taunting flotilla activists
EasyJet diverts flight after passenger alerts crew to power bank in luggage
Three new Ebola cases declared in Uganda - as DR Congo's World Cup team told to isolate