By Michael McHugh, PA and Q Radio News
An isolation unit has been established at a Belfast hospital ahead of an expected first case of Covid-19.
Health chiefs believe an infection is near "inevitable" though Northern Ireland has remained clear so far.
Preparations have been stepped up at the country's hospitals and GP surgeries.
Those concerned about symptoms who have returned from affected areas overseas like China and Italy are urged to contact their GPs by telephone in the first instance and stay at home.
There are no plans to test those displaying no symptoms.
Dozens of people have been checked for the disease but all results have returned negative, chief medical officer Dr Michael McBride said.
The Royal Victoria Hospital, Northern Ireland's largest, has set aside an isolation ward to treat the first cases.
The authorities are focusing on preventing the disease's spread and urged the public's help like practising good hand hygiene.
A vaccine could be months away, Dr McBride said.
Meanwhile, Dr Miriam McCarthy has been updating Q Radio on the latest situation:
There are now 13 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the UK but NONE In Northern Ireland. An Isolation ward has been set up at the Royal Victoria hospital to deal with any confirmed cases of Coronavirus. Dr. Miriam McCarthy has been updating #qradionews pic.twitter.com/uFEV00Xphn
— Q Radio News (@qnewsdesk) February 26, 2020
Two PSNI officers injured as car rammed in Co Down
Two men charged in connection with death of man in Belfast
Sex offences cases against Jeffrey Donaldson and his wife ‘to run together’
King and Queen tour parts of Titanic Quarter during Northern Ireland visit
Comments
Add a comment