By Rebecca Black, PA
Driving test dates may be offered at weekends, with 27 additional examiners recruited to tackle a backlog caused by coronavirus restrictions.
Around 950 practical driving tests have been cancelled since the start of lockdown in March.
Tests will resume on November 21.
Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon said she has further extended the validity of theory test pass certificates, but acknowledged disruption had been caused.
She said the online booking system has reopened with more than 2,000 additional booking slots available in November, December and January.
Priority is being given to customers who had their original tests cancelled.

Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon
“We are recruiting 27 additional temporary and permanent examiners, we are looking at testing on a Saturday and Sunday to free up capacity as well and we will continue to look creatively to do what we can to try to increase and maximise the number of people that we can give driving tests to, but also be mindful of the public health advice and the need to adhere to the risk assessments that we’ve carried out,” she told MLAs during Infrastructure Minister questions.
£14,000 pay increase recommended for Northern Ireland Assembly members
Police receive more than 100 referrals in Presbyterian Church safeguarding case
Bus driver dies at scene of crash involving school children
Jury sworn in at Natalie McNally murder trial
‘Absolute relief’ for Chloe Mitchell’s family as trial to go ahead next month