By Q Radio News
A further 605 positive cases of Covid-19 have been reported in Northern Ireland, the Department of Health said.
There was one further coronavirus-linked death reported in the past 24 hours.
To date 2,122,962 vaccines have been administered.
Meanwhile Downing Street will issue guidance stating that people will still be "expected to wear masks in indoor, enclosed places" after the final step of releasing lockdown restrictions in England, Nadhim Zahawi has said.
The vaccines minister told Sky News he is "confident" that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will be able to announce on Monday that COVID restrictions will be lifted on 19 July as planned despite the surge in cases.
But he revealed the PM will inform the public that they should continue to wear face coverings in crowded places, despite the legal requirement to do so ending from step four of the government's roadmap out of lockdown.
Earlier this week, when setting out the details of his planned unlocking for the fourth and final step of his roadmap on 19 July, the PM said from this point there will be no more legal requirement on wearing face masks in shops or on public transport.
However, Mr Zahawi's comments on Sunday suggested more caution over lifting the policy of wearing face masks altogether.
And on Wednesday, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told MPs he is "very relaxed" about airlines, train firms and bus operators imposing their own COVID-related rules, including on wearing face masks, beyond 19 July.
Family pay tribute to ‘like a light’ Jimmy Cricket ahead of his funeral
Man in his 60s dies after fire in Londonderry flat
Robbie Butler named Stormont health minister
Police probe report of shots fired at house in Lisburn
Death of former All-Ireland winner in road crash ‘heart-breaking’
Comments
Add a comment