By Q Radio News
A planned strike by bus drivers in Northern Ireland has been deferred after unions received a revised pay offer.
The industrial action by Unite and GMB, scheduled to begin next Monday, had been expected to lead to the cancellation of all bus services for a week.
But representatives from the unions have now said they will ballot members on the new pay offer from Translink.
A planned strike by bus drivers in Northern Ireland has been deferred after unions received a revised pay offer.https://t.co/qnYjne9kf2
— Q Radio News (@qnewsdesk) April 21, 2022
Here is GMB Senior Organiser, Denise Walker:
The unions have been calling for a 6% pay rise for drivers.
A Translink spokesperson said: “We have an agreement to defer the planned strike action commencing Monday April 25 while the bus drivers are balloted on a revised pay offer following further negotiations.
“We welcome this positive step and thank the unions for their commitment to working together in an effort to build back public transport as a sustainable and better future for all.”
Unite deputy Regional Secretary, Davy Thompson, said: “The strike action planned by both Unite and GMB bus drivers would have resulted in the cancellation of all bus services across Northern Ireland from next Monday.
"Ahead of that eventuality the unions and employers engaged in direct negotiations on the issue of pay.”

Family pay tribute to ‘like a light’ Jimmy Cricket ahead of his funeral
Man in his 60s dies after fire in Londonderry flat
Robbie Butler named Stormont health minister
Police probe report of shots fired at house in Lisburn
Death of former All-Ireland winner in road crash ‘heart-breaking’
Comments
Add a comment