by David Hunter
Police say a road side bomb triggered by command wire was to blame for a security alert in Stabane earlier this week.
The Liskey Road and Townsend Street areas have been sealed off since Tuesday evening but have re-opened today.
Detectives say the device was left there to kill or seriously injure officers who were working in the area.
A 20 year old man was detained in Newtownstewart this morning and remains in custody.
The explosive device was detonated and nobody was harmed.
MLA Daniel McCrossan said it's been a tough three days for residents in the area and deemed the attack as one of the most serious he's dealt with since being an Assembly Member.
He's deemed the attacker as "no friend of the peace process" and said that they went out with the incentive to kill someone.
Jury sworn in at Natalie McNally murder trial
‘Absolute relief’ for Chloe Mitchell’s family as trial to go ahead next month
Search operation under way after reports of man going overboard from ferry
Sentencing Bill, including Charlotte’s Law, to be introduced shortly: Naomi Long
Man dies following crash between car and van in Hillsborough