Springhill families accuse Government of ‘silence’ over inquest findings

You are viewing content from Q Newry and Mourne 100.5. Would you like to make this your preferred location?
five people were shot dead during the incident

By Rebecca Black (Press Association)

The families of five people shot dead in west Belfast have accused the UK Government of “deliberate silence” following the findings of an inquest.

A coroner concluded almost three weeks ago that British Army soldiers “did not use reasonable force” in the shooting of a Catholic priest, a father-of-six and three teenagers at Springhill/Westrock on July 9 1972.

Mr Justice Scoffield said that Father Noel Fitzpatrick, 42, father-of-six Patrick Butler, 38, and teenagers David McCafferty and Margaret Gargan, were unarmed and posed no risk when they were shot.

The families have said they want a public apology.

Speaking to media at Hillsborough Castle on the same day as the findings, Secretary of State Hilary Benn said he would need to read the full coroner’s report, but expresses condolences to the families of the five who died.

He went on to describe legacy issues as “complex”, “difficult” and the “unfinished business” of the Good Friday Agreement.

In a statement, the Springhill families accused the British Government of “deliberate silence” and “ongoing injustice” over its response so far.

They have contended it has been almost three weeks without any “formal acknowledgment” from the British Government, the Northern Ireland Office (NIO), or the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

“The truth has finally been established in a court of law. Our loved ones were innocent. They were unarmed. They should never have been killed. Yet almost three weeks on, the British Government has chosen to say nothing,” they said.

“That silence is not oversight — it is a continuation of the injustice our families have faced for over 50 years. It compounds the hurt and reinforces the sense that our loved ones’ lives do not carry equal weight.”

They have called for a public apology to be made, pointing out the response to the Ballymurphy inquest and Bloody Sunday Inquiry.

“We are not asking for special treatment. We are demanding equal recognition, accountability, and respect. The British Government must now break its silence and issue a full and public apology,” they said.

“The Springhill/Westrock Massacre families have made clear that acknowledgment is not symbolic — it is a necessary step in formally clearing the names of those killed and recognising the failings identified by the court.

“More than 53 years after the events, and weeks after the truth has been definitively established, families say continued inaction only deepens the injustice.”

Natasha Butler with relatives of those killed during the Springhill Westrock killings outside Belfast Coroner’s Court

More from Q Radio Local News

Comments

Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.
Rating *

Join the Thank Q Club

Sign up for the Thank Q Club and receive exclusive offers, fun competitions and amazing prizes - it's quick and easy to do!

Sign Up Log In

Listen on the go

Download the Q Radio app to keep listening, wherever you are! It's available on Apple and Android devices.

Download from the App Store Download from Google Play