Donald Trump reacts after Supreme Court allows White House ballroom work to continue - for now

You are viewing content from Q Newry and Mourne 100.5. Would you like to make this your preferred location?

The US Supreme Court has allowed Donald Trump's administration to continue construction on his $400m (£293m) White House ballroom project for now, temporarily pausing a judicial order that was set to halt much of the building work.

Taking to Truth Social, Mr Trump welcomed the court's action on Friday.

"We are grateful for the Decision of the ⁠United States Supreme Court," he wrote.

"The Military/Ballroom Complex being built on the hallowed grounds of the White House, which is so vital for National Security, will ​be THE GREATEST OF ITS KIND!"

The project combines the above-ground ballroom with an expansive underground complex.

Mr Trump has said the project includes bomb shelters, medical facilities, shielding from drones and missiles and other security features in "one big, expensive and very complex unit".

A spokesperson for the National Trust for Historic Preservation said: "To be clear, this is not a final decision on the merits of the government's stay application, and we await further action."

The court's action, known as an administrative stay, gives the justices more time to consider the administration's formal request to ‌allow it to continue working on the ballroom while a lawsuit by a historic preservation group looking to halt the project proceeds.

The stay was issued by Chief Justice John Roberts, who handles emergency cases in Washington DC.

Justice Department lawyers, in a 14 August filing to the Supreme Court, echoed Mr Trump's contention that the project is vital for security, citing assassination attempts against the president and other recent threats.

The non-profit National Trust for Historic Preservation sued last year after the administration demolished the White House East Wing and started building a 90,000sq ft (8,360sq m) ballroom without ​seeking specific Congress approval.

On 7 August, in a 2-1 ruling the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld US District ​Judge Richard Leon's order, which had been set to take effect on Friday, directing the administration to halt above-ground construction.

The order blocked above-ground efforts while allowing below-ground construction to continue, as well as work deemed "strictly necessary" for the safety and security of the White House.

Mr Trump described the decision as "horrendous" and politically motivated, and said it left him, other White House officials and visitors open to attack.

"This unjust decision must be overturned by the Supreme Court in its entirety," Mr Trump wrote.

Read more from Sky News:
TikTok reaches $400m US children's privacy settlement
One dead after sword attack at Swedish school

The overall East Wing project is 65% complete, the Justice Department said in its 14 August filing.

The project is part of Trump's wider efforts to reshape the Washington landscape, ⁠including plans ​to build a 250ft (76m) arch and overhaul the Kennedy Center, a cultural landmark.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: Donald Trump reacts after Supreme Court allows White House ballroom work to continue - for now

More from Q Radio National News

Join the Thank Q Club

Sign up for the Thank Q Club and receive exclusive offers, fun competitions and amazing prizes - it's quick and easy to do!

Sign Up Log In

Listen on the go

Download the Q Radio app to keep listening, wherever you are! It's available on Apple and Android devices.

Download from the App Store Download from Google Play