Cooking with Country Kitchen
Regular recipes brought to you by Country Kitchen. Tune in to Q Radio each Friday between 10am - 1pm to hear more about Country Cooking.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tenders with Char Corn and Cheese Coleslaw
For the marinade
450g of mini fillets chicken breast
1 cup of buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
1½ cup all-purpose flour
1 heaping teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon black pepper
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
3-4 cups vegetable oil for frying
For the corn
2 tablespoons Sunflower oil
1 small bag of crisp leaf mix
1 pack of Country Kitchen Cheese Coleslaw
Fresh chives for garnish
Methods of Cooking
- Combine the chicken tenders with all of the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Ensure chicken tenders are evenly coated with buttermilk and seasoning. Cover with clean film and place the bowl in the fridge for about 30 mins.
- Make the breading by combining the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined, then add the buttermilk and stir with a fork until mixture is evenly clumpy.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil. Remove the chicken tenders from the marinade a few at a time and toss into the flour mixture. Be sure to press the chicken firmly into the breading so clumps adhere to the meat. Set breaded tenders on prepared baking sheet.
- Line another baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels and set aside. Add oil to a large, high-sided pot until the level reaches about 3/4-inch. Heat over high heat until oil is shimmering. (If a cube of bread sizzles when you drop it in, it's ready.) Using tongs, place several chicken tenders in the hot oil without crowding the pan. Cook until golden brown on the bottom side a few minutes, then flip and cook until second side is also golden, a few minutes more. Set cooked tenders on baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Fry remaining tenders in batches. Keep it warm.
- Char cob over a naked flame, until brown. Or alternatively, preheat oven 220C (gas 5) in the grill set. Brush the corn with oil and place it on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet on the top shelf of oven and bake for 20minutes, until brown. Turn occasionally.
- Remove corn from oven and place it on a chopping board. Hold one of the ends of the cob with one hand and using a sharp knife carefully slice it length side through making sure that corns are coming out in large chunks.
- To serve, place a handful of leave mix on a side of each plate. Divide the chicken between the two plates. Place the chard corn chunks on top of leave mix. Divide the cheese coleslaw into two ramekins, sprinkle fresh chopped chives on top as garnish. Serve it on the side.
Listen on the go
Download the Q Radio app to keep listening, wherever you are! It's available on Apple and Android devices.Download from the App Store Download from Google Play